There is little in the literature regarding the return of heron colonies to previously occupied sites that have not been used for a number of years. We have been studying the heron colonies in Alabama, since 1952, and have good data on many of the sites that have been occupied (Dusi and Dusi 1988).
The first heron colony we observed was at the Hog Wallow Ponds Site, 10 km south of Tuskegee, Macon Co., in 1952 (Dusi 1958). It was a Little Blue Heron (Egretta caerulea) colony and this colony site was actively used until 1958, when the birds were shot and dispersed.
Author: Julian L. Dusi and Rosemary T. Dusi
Volume Number: 39 Year Published: 1992
Issue Number: 2
Page Number: 5
Link to article: http://birdlife.aosbirds.org/1992/Vol 39 No. 2 1992_p5-6.pdf
Link to the full issue of BirdLife: http://birdlife.aosbirds.org/1992/Vol 39 No. 2 1992.pdf