To register online for the Winter Meeting, click here:
Unless otherwise noted, all activities begin or occur at the Joe Wheeler State Park Lodge
FRIDAY, January 25, 2019
- Birding on your own if you arrive early
- 3:00 p.m. Registration — Cypress Room
- 5:00 p.m. Social Hour – Cypress Room
- 6:00 p.m. Dinner from Menu in the Lodge Dining Room
- 7:00 p.m. Members’ Slides – Cypress Room
- 8:00 p.m. Adjourn
SATURDAY, January 26, 2019
- 7:00 a.m. Wilson Lake Boat Trip – Meet at the Marina (requires advance signup. Limit 20; cost is $55) See details below***
- 7:00 a.m. Field Trips – Meet in the Lodge Lobby
- Wheeler National Wildlife Refuge (requires advance signup. Limit 30)
- Key Cave National Wildlife Refuge/Waterloo
- 3:00 p.m.Board Meeting — Cypress Room
- 4:30 p.m. Registration — Cypress Room
- 5:30 p.m. Social Hour –Cypress Room
- 6:30 p.m. Banquet – Cypress Room
- 7:15 p.m. Announcements
- 7:30 Keynote Speaker:
Dr. Conor McGowan,Shorebird Conservation
- 9:00 p.m. Adjourn
SUNDAY, January 27, 2019
- 7:30 a.m. Field Trip Around the State Park/Wheeler Dam
- Trip Leader: TBD
- 12:00 p.m. Compilation — Cypress Room
- 1:00 p.m. Adjourn
ACCOMMODATIONS AND INFORMATION
Joe Wheeler State Park is about 27 miles east of Florence, Alabama, and 22 miles west of Athens on US 72 (not US 72 Alt). We have 15 rooms reserved, available through December 25, 2018.
Rooms are reserved at the lodge for a convention rate of $69/night plus tax. The reservation numbers are 1-800-544-5639 or 256-247-5461. Please indicate that you are with AOS. Rooms will be held until December 25.
The Park also has cabins for rent near Wheeler Dam about 14 miles from the lodge. Contact info for cabins: 256-685-2656. There are also several motels in the area. If you cannot get into the Lodge, the best bet is probably the Florence quad cities area or Athens.
Note that there will be a banquet Saturday night. There will be no Friday Night Pot Luck Supper.
***Wilson Lake Boat Trip –
The trip will leave the state park marina at 7:00 Saturday morning and will last approximately 6 hours (marina is located just down the hill from the lodge). We will head downriver to Wheeler Dam, lock through to Wilson Reservoir, then head toward Hog Island (The Point). After viewing the many ducks there, we will return to Wheeler Dam and chum the gulls below the dam. We will then lock back through the dam and chum the gulls above the dam. If time allows, we will also cruise upriver toward Rogersville and Elk River. The trip will cost $55.00 per person, payable to AOS during Friday evening registration (does not include gratuity for Captain Steve). It will also be nice if each participant can bring 2-3 loaves of bread to chum the gulls…the more the merrier.
Everyone will need to bring lunch/snacks/
To get your name on the list, send me an email (tnbarredowl@