Winners will be announced at the AOS Fall Meeting on Dauphin Island, during the pot luck supper on Friday, October 13, 2017. All entries will be shown at the meeting, after which the winning entries will be announced. Winning photos will also be featured in the Yellowhammer, and on the AOS website and FaceBook page.
Photos may be submitted in three categories: Backyard, Flight, and Habitat.
Official Contest Rules
- This photo contest is open to all AOS members in good standing.
- All entries must show birds that are alive and living in the wild.
- Only images with species photographed in Alabama and the Florida Panhandle within the last 12 months are eligible.
- All entries must be received on or before Sept. 15, 2017.
- Each participant may enter up to 2 images per category
- All entries must be submitted in jpg/jpeg format
- Each entry should be accompanied by a separate entry form.
- Each participant confirms that each entry has not been published in a commercial publication for payment. Similar in-camera duplicate photos are not eligible.
- By submitting an entry each participant agrees to allow AOS to post entries on the AOS website and Facebook page, without compensation, to promote public interest in birds and birding.
- Winners will be selected by a panel of judges determined by the AOS staff.
- There will be a winner for each category
- One Best in Show photo will be selected from all contest entries.
Entry forms are available at this link:
Remember, it isn’t all about the price of camera and length of the lens. The choice of subject, composition, and lighting goes a long way in determining a winning photo.